There are many types of dermatitis diagnosed to this date. Dermatitis is a skin rash which is usually red, swollen and itchy and can be caused due to various reasons. This uncomfortable and painful disease however is not contagious and does not cause any threatening harm to the body.
Various types of dermatitis can be classified as follows:
- Allergic contact dermatitis is characterized by red and itchy bumps accompanied by rashes. The usual causes of dermatitis are seen to be hair dyes and cosmetics which can cause allergy. Other reasons responsible for allergies are jewelry, weeds, rubber etc. Once the allergen is identified, it isn’t difficult to resolve the problem. All one has to do is avoid the allergen and wait for the body to take care of itself.
- Atopic dermatitis is the most common type of dermatitis and is commonly known as eczema. Atopic dermatitis may either be a constant trouble for the skin or occasional flare ups may be noticed with periods of clear skin seen in between. The regions of the body affected by dermatitis are elbows, knees, and necks. Eczema can be uncontrollably itchy at times. One must be very careful about the types of creams and soaps that one uses in such cases in order to avoid any irritation on the affected areas.
- Nuerodermatitis also known as lichen simplex chronicus is a result of constant scratching which results in development of a thickened brown skin with a leather like appearance. The regions of body affected by Nuerodermatitis are neck, scalp, upper forearm and wrists. It is imperative to recognize the factor causing itchiness and avoid it.
- Perioral dermatitis is a special type of dermatitis found in the facial regions like mouth, nose, cheeks and eyes. Pus filled small bumps can be observed along with mild peeling. Perioral dermatitis is often confused with acne; the treatment however is a bit different. It is also recommended to avoid certain kinds of cosmetics which may be a cause of skin infections.
- Seborrheic dermatitis affects the oily region of the body such as upper chest, back and face. Apart from this seborrheic dermatitis can also be found on the scalp region and cause dandruff. It often occurs in infants as cradle cap and appears as a greasy scaly coat of red skin. There are various over the counter medications, lotions and medicated shampoos available for treatment of seborrheic dermatitis.
- Stasis dermatitis affects the ankle and shin region of the body. It often makes the skin pale, thick and itchy and is a consequence of fluid build up in the lower region of the body.